Footnotes

From: Dave Hartley
Subject: Footnotes
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 10:41:54 +1300

I'm currently typesetting some music for our school choir, SATB with a piano part and a small percussion part. I tried to get some additional directions to the performers inserted as footnotes, but I don't seem to be able to get the footnotes in \markup attached to notes working at all.

MWE:
\version "2.18.2"
\markup { The \auto-footnote footnote "Here it is" works here. }
{c '^\markup { I want a \auto-footnote footnote "Does this work?" here } }

The annoying thing is that it is almost working, as there is a gap left for the footnote marker, but both it and the actual footnote are just not there.

Reading the manual (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/creating-footnotes) I can see that only musical expressions (which attached markup is definitely not) and stand-alone text (again, attached markup isn't that either).

My question: is there any way to place a footnote at the bottom of a page from markup attached to a note? I've "made do" with using simple markup to give the performance instructions, but I'd like to be able to do this sort of thing in the future. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

--
Stop the Madness.  Boycott Word attachments.