Re: double time signature problem

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: double time signature problem
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:41:46 +0000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 at 16:33 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW does the German used here sound as archaic as Coverdale's
> translation (Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lift up,
> ye everlasting doors, and the King of glory shall come in)

Uh, The Messiah _was_ composed and performed in English.  The libretto
was written by Charles Jennens, and basically uses Bible passages from
the KJV version.

Correct. But in the spirit of accuracy and pedantry, the work is called "Messiah".
;-)

Chris

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 at 16:33 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW does the German used here sound as archaic as Coverdale's
> translation (Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lift up,
> ye everlasting doors, and the King of glory shall come in)

Uh, The Messiah _was_ composed and performed in English.  The libretto
was written by Charles Jennens, and basically uses Bible passages from
the KJV version.

In this quote, I see "ye", 2nd person plural nominative (nowadays, the
accusative is used for everything).  That's all.  Just a tiny bit of
Early Modern English.  All the rest is quite current-day use.  It's
similar with other passages: it uses Early Modern English pronouns and
verb forms (like Shakespeare would) but is pretty standard fare
otherwise.

The problem is that the corresponding Lutheran German _is_ the same as
modern-day German apart from some spelling differences.  German hasn't
seen significant grammatical changes or simplifications since then.

> or does it resemble contemporary usage?

Both.

--
David Kastrup