Re: [OT] Grammatic gender

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: [OT] Grammatic gender
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 21:30:52 +0100

Am 2017-11-16 um 14:22 schrieb N. Andrew Walsh <address@hidden>:

> Since this is already well off-topic, I'd like to ask a general question of
> the German speakers here: the Constitutional Court recently ruled that
> forcing people born in Germany to identify only as either male or female on
> official documentation is discriminatory (for a number of reasons, including:
> some people cannot be biologically categorized as entirely one or the other,
> some people are mis-assigned, some people don't identify that way, etc.). The
> court provided two possible remedies: either add a third category (presumably
> "unspecified"), or strike sex from official documentation entirely.
>
> Since German *does* use gendered pronouns, what do you imagine is likely to
> happen here, as people start entering into adult life with no specified male
> or female gender? As noted above, referring to biological organisms, much
> less people, with the neuter pronoun would likely be considered unacceptable.
> So what do you imagine is likely to happen here? Is the Duden going to start
> establishing what is effectively a fourth gender category?

Finally, a good decision, as far as I can tell.
While trans* people often use singular "they" in English, that doesn’t work in
German, since "sie" is they as well as she and You (polite form). "es" is
unacceptable, as you noted. I wanted to research anyway how German trans*
people want to be called, a quick search found:

- xier, dey (http://nonbinarytransgermany.tumblr.com/language)
- sif, sies, xier, nin, sei
(https://weltenschmiede.wordpress.com/2014/08/24/gastartikel-er-sie-xier-nin-genderneutrale-pronomen/)

Greetlings, Hraban