Markings on a percent bar

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Markings on a percent bar
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:28:19 +0000

This is actually very common in my sort of music. As you can see, I have
a "\repeat percent 4 {}", and I have both a crescendo starting on the
fourth bar, plus the number "4" above it.

And I don't know where to start trying to enter this ... :-)

That "4" is actually a simple example of a common construct - it means
the fourth repeated bar. If I had had six bars, it might have had "4",
"5", "6" - it always starts counting at the first bar, but usually only
prints the count starting some way in (as here, with 4). It's also very
commonly used when you have cue parts, the player may have 16 or more
bars rest with cues.

Can anybody give me any hints?

Cheers,
Wol