Re: cross-staff stems in a piano part

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: cross-staff stems in a piano part
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:43:41 -0600

On Sun 10 Dec 2017 at 22:00:01 (+0100), David Kastrup wrote:
> David Wright <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I'll take another look at the "cross staff stems" documentation.
> >>
> >> As to upgrading lilypond I tend to stick with the version that is
> >> provided by my distribution (debian stable) unless I really need one
> >> particular new feature.
> >
> > Strictly speaking, Debian stable, currently stretch, doesn't
> > contain lilypond because it depends on guile-1.8-libs which
> > stretch doesn't support.
>
> They just include the guile-1.8-libs internally to LilyPond and replace
> the LilyPond executable with a shell wrapper pointing LDPATH to them.

I think you're referring to stretch-backports. If one is happy to
run backports, then I'd be surprised by any reluctance to run the
lilypond.org unstable version.

BTW do you have an opinion on the line being taken in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-12/msg00231.html
I think a lot of people have difficulty with the term "unstable"
as used with free software, where it means "things will change"
rather than "things will fall over".

Cheers,
David.