Re: Auto-transposition

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Auto-transposition
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 20:48:14 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I suppose I could use single variables more if Lilypond had better
>> "at runtime" methods of reusing material (e.g., inline variable
>> definition)
>
> Have a look at
> https://lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,195.msg1231.html#msg1231
> Though, I have no clue about the consequences...

A number of things wrong with it.  For one, it's not well-defined just
when the variable is available.  For another, there is no point in using
a string? argument when you actually need a symbol? argument.  And worst
of all, the command does not bother creating a copy, so any destructive
manipulations on one variable (like \relative, \transpose, and others)
will magically appear in the other variable.

Not particularly enthused about the side effect in the middle of music
either: people might expect \tag to have an effect on whether or not
some sequence is defined in some branch, but it won't.  But that's not
all that dissimilar to surprises about \relative and \tag .

--
David Kastrup