Re: Lining up the word "subito"

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Lining up the word "subito"
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:17:06 +0100

Am 23.12.2017 um 10:10 schrieb Andrew Bernard:

Also, with respect, when asking for help on the list people usually provide an MWE, a minimum working example. For a case like this just a note or two would suffice. If you give an MWE it is a lot easier for people to help out, as they don't have to scan through large amounts of stuff that is irrelevant to the question in hand.

I agree. But it’s (almost) Christmas and I have nothing else to do, so here is a small (not really minimal, but this size would be ok IMO to show the spacing problem with downwards stems etc.) example which contains a possible solution. I aligned the p to the hairpin and put the sub. above. For understanding you can delete (or change the values of) the \override, \with-dimensions, \text, and \medium commands.

\version "2.19.65"
\include "english.ly"

subP =
#(make-dynamic-script
  #{
    \markup
    % this decreases the vertical space between sub. and p
    \override #'(baseline-skip . 1.5)
    % this changes the behaviour of the following line
    \override #`(direction . ,UP)
% dir-column is used to align the p to the cresc. and put the sub. above
    \dir-column {
       % this is already in \dynamic mode because of make-dynamic-script
      % this makes the sub. take less horizontal space so that the
      % cresc. hairpin is extended left below the sub. to reach the p
      \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0.5) #'(0 . 1.5)
      % \text reverts \dynamic, \medium reverts \bold
      \text \medium "sub."
    }
  #})

\relative {
  <<
    {
      \tuplet 3/2 8 { bf16 d' f a,, cs' fs } r4
    } \\ {
      bf,,8\subP\< a g4\f