Re: edition-editor usage

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: edition-editor usage
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 11:19:48 +0100

Hello Mason,

it is possible to use \shapeII with the edition-engraver :-)
And it sounds like this is the use case the EE is originally meant for.

Yes, the wording is a bit inconsistent and/or irritating. I will try to sum it up:
In the recent versions I used the terms target and context to divide two dimensions. The target names the requested output like for example 'fullscore' or 'violinI-part'. If you "activate" an edition-target with \addEdition violinI-part it uses all modifications that look like
\editionMod violinI-part <measure> <moment> <edition-context> { \shapeII ... }

This is a real example I used inside the piano reduction:
\editionMod klavier 38 0/8 chor.ten.TenorStaff \once \shapeII #'(()(0 . 1)()()) Slur
It means:
with edition-target 'klavier' (the piano reduction) in measure 38 the first eighth apply the shapeII-command inside the context identified by 'chor.ten.TenorStaff'.
Moments are counted zero-based, so the first moment is zero. This might irritating on first sight, but it is meaningful as the distance from the beginning of the measure. The context in the example above is the tenor staff inside the choir-staff.

I think the main point is understanding the three dimensions:
1. the edition-target - that is the condition if to apply the modification ... apply this modification for the score of type T(arget)
2. the edition-context - that is where to apply the modification ... the LilyPond context like Voice, Staff, Score etc.
3. the time - that is the musical timestamp when to apply the modification ... moment X inside measure Y

HTH

I will send more details and information soon!
But for today and tomorrow I wish you a merry Christmas and all the best for 2018!

Jan-Peter