Re: GSoC applications

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: GSoC applications
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 23:09:25 +0100

Am 09.01.2018 um 22:49 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

In order to attract good students I think we should have a few more project
suggestions on the pages
I'm never at a loss for ideas…  ;)

My question is, how much of a full "project" does this need to be, as opposed to just a
"fairly rich feature request"? For example, would the ability to flip grobs above or
below any context from any other context be GSoC-worthy, or is it just a feature request?

Your answer will determine which suggestions I offer for consideration.

In theory the answer is simple: A good project for GSoC is something a student can achieve with three months of full-time work. Not more, but also not less. So I'd say the "flip grobs" example looks like to narrow.

Generally, for larger projects it's beneficial if it can be somehow modularized, i.e. it should not be one monolithic feature that can just be completed or not. So if progress is slower there is simply less functionality completed rather than the whole thing failed.

Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer