Re: Issues about optical spacing

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Issues about optical spacing
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:08:25 -0500

On 1/14/2018 8:28 PM, Tomohiro Tatejima wrote:
Hello all,

I encountered some issues related to optical spacing. One is like this:

\version "2.19.80"
{
  \override Staff.NoteSpacing.same-direction-correction = #2.5  % to
emphasize effects of optical correction
  c'2 a | c' b | c' c' | c' d' | c' e'
}

The output file is attached as example1.png.
There is a spacing increment between notes when the interval is 3 or
more, as you see in measure 5. Is this an intentional behavior?

One more issue about optical spacing is that this correction is
totally disabled when the rhythm interferes with others.

\version "2.19.80"
<< { c'8. 16 8. 16 }
   \new Staff
   {
     \override Staff.NoteSpacing.same-direction-correction = #2.5  %
to emphasize effects of optical correction
     r8 \tuplet 3/2 { a16 c' e' } r8 \tuplet 3/2 { e'16 c' a }
   }

The output is example2.png.
Desired output is that notes in each tuplet are equally spaced.
Is it technically possible to implement this?

Sincerely,
Tomohiro Tatejima

Hi,

I think the default output is *just about* equal spaced between the tuplet notes, do you not prefer the default?
It may not be literally 1:1 exact spacing between tuplet notes, but considering they are not the same pitch/note, this is preferred in my opinion.

Using no overrides...see attached.

How would you like to offset from this default? That may help us get a better idea of what you're after in the long run here with this specific bar.

Thanks!