Discuss the alignment of scores in text documents

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Discuss the alignment of scores in text documents
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:41:42 +0100

Hi all,

I have finally managed to check out Jacques Peron's lyluatex package (https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex), and I got my first pull request merged. I'm totally thrilled about this tool and the possibilities for authoring music documents. Essentially it's lilypond-book without the hassle of having to use a preprocessor (and deal with cluttered document directory or path issues. (Of course it's far from complete, but one definitely can see the potential). Now I can finally maintain the scores to be used in text documents as LilyPond code (in the .tex file or in separate include files) and don't have to worry about keeping them up-to-date or updating all examples when something in the layout of the text document changes! Even more spectacular will it be when all that works smoothly with Pandoc - allowing to author documents in Markdown and still have immediate access to LaTeX and LilyPond for automatic typesetting.

My first contribution was allowing scores to be aligned to the paragraph so that the *staff lines* match the paragraph while margin stuff like braces or instrument names protrude into the left margin. It's exciting to see that at work automatically - and think back at the days when I had to live with inconsistently scaled score examples or tedious trial&error formatting.

However, this first success implies the need for further discussion in order to continue development. For this I have prepared a PDF that demonstrated the feature and discusses the current question. This is uploaded as part of the issue https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/issues/36.

There are questions specific to the use of a LaTeX package but also general typographic ones, so everyone on this list could have valuable opinions. I would be happy about feedback, but as I will ask other communities as well it would be good to concentrate discussion to the Github tracker as much as possible.

Best
Urs