Re: Any interest in participating in GSoC for SugarLabs project that uti

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Any interest in participating in GSoC for SugarLabs project that utilizes lilypond?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 11:25:37 +0100

Hi Devin,

thank you for getting in touch with us.

I think Music Blocks and its LilyPond integration is something our community definitely welcomes, and collaborating in the GSoC context is a great idea. However, I must warn you that we are having a hard time to find mentors for our own projects ourselves. On the other hand what you are looking for is not a *developer*, but a *power user*.

So this proposal would be an opportunity for someone to help and give something back who wouldn't consider themselves as fit for mentoring a coding student.

I have one caveat, though: you might want to double-check if that project is actually an acceptable GSoC project. In general the production of documentation of any kind is not eligible for GSoC projects. Last year i asked them about the possibility of a project to develop a documentation *generation system*, and they said this would be OK, but explicitly mentioned again that *writing* documentation isn't for GSoC So you might at least reword your project suggestion and make the documentation aspect more of a by-product.

Best
Urs