Re: Simple midi player

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Simple midi player
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 07:31:26 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018, Nathan Sprangers wrote:

Thank you, this is a fantastic suggestion!

For the benefit of others following this thread, on Debian at least, midish
comes with a simple command line player, smfplay, which takes a starting
measure number as a command line argument.

Thanks for the midish suggestion!

Frescobaldi is a great tool that I use almost daily. But once in a while there are situations where I prefer to use vim or gvim. I am on Linux Fedora, and have modified the ftplugin/lilpond.vim file to use another PDF viewer (evince instead of gv). Midish could be an alternative for Timidity. Jumping to a specified bar is especially useful for our purpose.

I will need to do some reading and studying to set up and configure the midishrc file to use fluidsynth as (virtual) MIDI soundmodule. (I currently don't own an external hardware GM compatible MIDI module or keyboard.)

If someone has already done a working configuration on Linux please share your settings and experiences here.

--

MT