Re: rounded-box vs. box in text markup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: rounded-box vs. box in text markup
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 17:36:13 +0200

> Hi all. I'm a fairly new user so I may be missing something obvious.
>
> In the following example, is there a way to "snug up" the rounded
> boxes over the second note so that they are vertically spaced like the
> boxes over the first note?
>
> \version "2.19.80"
> {
>   f''2^\markup{\box "1"}^\markup{\box "2"}^\markup{\box "3"}
>   f''2^\markup{\rounded-box "1"}^\markup{\rounded-box
> "2"}^\markup{\rounded-box "3"}
> }
>
> I know I can override box-padding to make the rounded boxes smaller,
> but I don't know how to change the space between them.
>
> Regards,
> Emilio

Your best bet is probably to use a column-markup (or center-column,
dir-column ...) and apply the same box-padding for \box and
\rounded-box (per default it's different).
Then you could override baseline-skip to fit your needs.

{
  f''1
    ^\markup
      \override #'(baseline-skip . 4)
      \column
        \override #'(box-padding . 0.2)
        \rounded-box { 1 2 3 }
  f''1
    ^\markup
      \override #'(baseline-skip . 4)
      \column
        \override #'(box-padding . 0.2)
        \box { 1 2 3 }
}

Though, I've no clue why the rounded-boxes are further away from Staff.

I just filed a bug-report about it.
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Possible-regression-with-box-markup-rounded-box-markup-td211212.html

HTH,
  Harm