Re: Problem with a font

From: Walter Garcia-Fontes
Subject: Re: Problem with a font
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:21:52 +0200

* Andrew Bernard, address@hidden [06/04/18 04:35]:
> Are you required by your customer or client to use this exact font? There
> are so many things wrong with it typographically it's hard to know where to
> start.
>
> If you need a childlike cursive script, font, there are thousands available
> that are built professionally with proper fonr metrics. As has alreayd been
> explained on the list, Writer fakes italic and bold when not available, and
> to the discrominating eye this always looks terrible. A correct italic is
> not just slanted Roman. Most handwriting script fonts don't have italic
> versions, but some do.
>
> If you need to find a proper fonts, I'd be very happy to assist you to
> locate something that is similar to the one you have to work with. Can you
> convince the customer to use something better?

Thanks Andrew. This is actually for my daughter, who is writing the
books for a music academy where she works as a music teacher. My
daughter learned LilyPond from me when she was studying, since she was
very young, and now she never stops astonishing her bosses with the
speed and beauty that she can produce with LilyPond. There are other
people using other music engraving software there, and she has beat
them all. Now she produces the books for music language and all
instruments, they all have given up, especially because of how fast
she can produce beautiful scores for individual instruments or
assemblies. But this is off topic, I guess.

I already showed her different alternatives, that we found around for
hand writing fonts, both free and commercial, but her bosses are
stubborn to use that one, which is used in schools here in Spain, and
so they are used to it.

But since I do not know about font internals, I will tell her about
your comments, which are very useful.

Walter

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes