Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 00:40:22 +0200

Aaron Hill <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-04-22 14:22, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> How would you know?  Have you read the 20+ pages of the Windows 10
>> privacy agreement?  Or do you just assume?
>
> I thought you may have been a little hyperbolic, so I checked
> Microsoft's web site for their current service agreement and privacy
> statements.
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement - ~16 pages
> https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement - ~57 pages

Oops, sorry for the understatement.  I'm really out of the loop, not
having installed (or even used) Windows for ages on any hardware of my
own.

> P.S.  It is only my intent to provide some hard details here, not to
> fan any flames.  The general discussion of FLOSS vs. proprietary is
> obviously an important one, though I would wonder if this mailing list
> is the right venue.  Of course, I am new here, so feel free to
> disregard.  :)

This list is not really the right venue as such but of course LilyPond
being free software ultimately is related with the values of some of its
core users/developers.  A text-based non-proprietary format has
advantages for guaranteeing the long-term usability of your work and
doing version control, of course.  That is one aspect somewhat
independent from that of the software itself being developed as free
software.

--
David Kastrup