Re: Schenkerian analysis diagram

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Schenkerian analysis diagram
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 09:21:49 -0400

Hi Jérôme,

> I tried to do a few analysis diagrams following the LinuxJournal
> example (quoted on the lilypond examples page):
> https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8364
>
> (and also quite outdated, since it was written for Lilypond 2.6).
>
> I think I have a proof of concept (see attached file)
> for a version that is simpler to type than the LinuxJournal example

I’m interested in looking through your example.

You may know this already, but… For the last few years, I've been building a
complete LilySchenker framework which does a lot of this stuff
programmatically. Perhaps we should coordinate our efforts, so that neither of
us reinvents wheels?

> And now I have a question. For simplicity of entry (and readability of
> source code), I would really really like to have shortcuts in the
> style of dashHat, dashPlus etc. Namely, instead of \white, \black,
> \beam, \beamR, \slurAL I would prefer (for example) -o, -*, -|, -[, -(

I believe you can, with very few exceptions, re-define any function / macro /
shortcut to be anything you want.

> Would a patch to the C code enabling such shortcuts be envisageable?

That seems unlikely. But having loaded a framework that re-defines those same
commands should be no problem.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer