Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion

From: R
Subject: Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 13:04:10 -0400

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi,

it's an uncalled variable. Why should it output anything or impact anything that's called?
1. It doesn’t output anything on its own — only when you call it. What it impacts in that case depends on where and how you call it.

2. The input code contained in a variable sets up certain expectations (continuations) for the parser.

Is it only durations that can leak out of uncalled variables? What else can impact outside an uncalled variable data?
That question is better answered by people like David K, who has a far better grasp of the internals (including the parser) than I do.

Cheers,
Kieren.
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden

I appreciate all your help Kieren. LilyPond is my favorite application. I can't live without it. I hope I can help keep it going.

Jacques Menu Muzhic wrote:
Hello R.,

A variable is nothing more than a name for a value, a piece of text in the case of Lily.

Using it with a backslash ahead of its name leads to this value being inserted at this point in the Lily code.

It’s the same as in all programming languages, there no implied magic at at all behind the scenes.

The name « global » is a pure convention, which Frescobaldi chose to follow. You could name it « blark » if you so preferred.

JM

I know but I never called it with a backslash was my point. It's uncalled. I was trying to figure out what contents of an uncalled variable leak out into impacting later code in the input file regardless of it never being called ever. Thanks.