Re: spacer rest *

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 22:59:38 +0200

On 27 April 2018 at 15:45, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
On 27.04.2018 10:53, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
To fix it I found two different ways.
First one:

    \version "2.19.81"
    \score {
    \new Voice <<
      {f4 g a b}
      {s4\< s4 s4 s4\!}

Other possibilities:
{ s4*3\< s4\! }
{ s2.\< s4\! }
{ s4\< s s s\! }

Thank you Simon, this make things even more clear.

By the way: It is customary to always surround { and } with whitespace, even if it’s not technically necessary, and I like that convention because it’s much better to read that way.

    \layout {}
    }

... and second one (but I'm not sure it is "correct" even if it compiles and works...)

    \version "2.19.81"
    \score {
      \new Voice <<
        {f4 g a b}
        \new Dynamics {s4\< 4 4 4\!}

      \layout {}
    }

If you’re doing that, you can go all the way and write
\new Dynamics { 4\< 4 4 4\! }
Then all the ‘4’s are converted into note events, which are ignored in a Dynamics context.

:) I discovered this today while testing. I think I will write in this way, it looks clearer to me.

Thank you, g.