Re: Release schedule for 2.20

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Release schedule for 2.20
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 16:23:05 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Lukas-Fabian Moser" <address@hidden>
Cc: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 4:11 PM

Lukas-Fabian Moser <address@hidden> writes:

(I, for example, just recently switched to self-compiled Lilypond
because of Malte's amazing work on the \haydnTurn which was prompted
by my question. To my surprise, compiling turned out to be quite easy,
but of course there /were /some slight dependency issues, /and /I'm
running on Linux which simplifies matters.)

"simplifies matters" -- not really.  It's the only possible way.  We do
all other versions via crosscompilation.

Question: How difficult/costly/... would it be to prepare a "daily
build from current master" for download?

Very.  We are talking about 6 hours of build time on a pretty solidly
powered 8-processor machine.  Actually, we _were_ talking about that
before adding the Catalan translation to the docs and further
complicating the Documentation build process in order to get more
compact PDFs.

On my GUB build machine (4 core hyperthreaded i7, 8 Gigs, SSD) an incremental build (i.e. with a stable version of GUB with the toolset all up to date) takes around one to one and a half hours. If GUB needs updating, it can, as you say, take over 6 hours even on that machine. The upload is then a few Gigs and on my old broadband this took around 6 hours to upload. My shiny VDSL connection does it in about 5 minutes. So a complete GUB rebuild is feasible. However, I'm not sure that was what was requested. A simple Linux binary in a specific location of Lilypond.org would be fairly straightforward - about 2 minutes for the build and very quick upload.

--
Phil Holmes