Re: LilyPond and FontForge

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond and FontForge
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 00:27:58 +0200 (CEST)

> 1) what is the lilypond's pipeline you're refering to? Is this an
>    easier way than using FontForge?

The *.mf files in lilypond/mf are converted to proto Type 1 code
using the script `mf2pt1' (which in turn calls METAPOST instead of
METAFONT for creating PostScript code).  Processing the *.mf files
also creates log files with a lot of auxiliary information that gets
further converted to the three extra SFNT tables by
`scripts/build/mf-to-table.py'.

FontForge now converts the proto Type 1 code (in batch mode) to the
final OTF format using scripts generated by `emmentaler-scripts.py'.

Have a look into file `mf/README' for some technical details,
especially how to prepare proof sheets to check the glyph outlines.

> 2) I looked at the emmentaler-scripts.py, but how do I exactly work
>    with that?

You shouldn't use this directly but look at the FontForge script
commands!  See

  http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/documentation/scripting/native/

for the complete (native) scripting reference.

    Werner