Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Combining full bar rests with omitted grobs in between
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 11:02:39 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Dear all,
>> is there a way to combine the two full bar rests in one multimeasure
>> rest in the following example?
>>
>> \version "2.19.81"
>> \new Staff <<
>>   \compressFullBarRests
>>   {
>>     s1
>>     \once \omit Score.MetronomeMark
>>     \tempo "test"
>>   }
>>   {
>>     R1*2
>>   }
>>>>

>> Use case: I have all tempo marks for the full score and parts in one
>> variable, but I need to hide a couple of tempo marks in one of the
>> parts (requested by the conductor).

[...]

>> Is there a solution?
>> Is there a way to actually delete an omitted grob?

You'd need to work with tags and alternative passages.

> Yes, there is, but the result is not what you want.
> \once \override Score.MetronomeMark.before-line-breaking = #ly:grob-suicide!
>
> The different length of s1 and R1*2 will always result into a splitted
> MultiMeasureRest, afaik.

It's instructive and/or sobering to see what \expandFullBarRests (the
actual default setting) does.  It just makes the internal timer tick at
every bar.  It creates no grob, does no typesetting, nothing.  Other
engravers then create objects like bars and stuff.

--
David Kastrup