Re: Maintaining font-size regardless of staff-size

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Maintaining font-size regardless of staff-size
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 12:25:29 +0100

On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 12:30 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Can you show how you are using \abs-fontsize ?
> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> > \version "2.19.81"
> >
> > #(set-global-staff-size 20)
> > \book {
> >   \bookOutputName "test1"
> >   \header { title = \markup \abs-fontsize #20 "abs-fontsize 20" }
> >   { c''1 }
> > }
> >
> > #(set-global-staff-size 16)
> > \book {
> >   \bookOutputName "test2"
> >   \header { title = \markup \abs-fontsize #20 "abs-fontsize 20" }
> >   { c''1 }
> > }
> > K%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> >
> > In "test2" above the title letters are the correct size, but are
> > horizontally squashed together by a factor of 16/20.
> >
> > David
> Ok, this is definitely off-color.  I suspected you writing
>
> \abs-fontsize #20 { word word word } instead of, say,
> \abs-fontsize #20 \line { word word word } or
> \abs-fontsize #20 { "word word word" }
>
> That would resize the individual words but leave alone the
> interword-space.  But here actually the letter space is ruined.  That
> definitely looks like \abs-fontsize is not doing what it should here.

Further to the above: in starting to try to create a work-around for my
difficulty with \abs-fontsize, I discovered an anomaly in the operation
of \fontsize.  This is shown in the following:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.81"

#(set-global-staff-size 20)
\book {
  \bookOutputName "test1"
  \header { title = \markup \fontsize #10 "fontsize 10" }
  { c''1 }
}

#(set-global-staff-size 10)
\book {
  \bookOutputName "test2"
  \header { title = \markup \fontsize #16 "fontsize 16" }
  { c''1 }
}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Here the text in the second output file is correctly sized, but with
the horizontal spacing only half what it should be.  It is similar to
the problem found with \abs-fontsize.

However, in this case the problem is unlikely to be an issue in
practice, because the only circumstances I have found in which it
occurs are when (a) the second staff size is exactly half (or double)
the first staff size, AND (b) the second fontsize is smaller (or
greater) than the first by exactly 6.

Weird, eh?

Should I file a bug report about these issues, and if so should it be
reported as one bug or two?  Or should I leave it to somebody who is
more au fait with the requirements and format of bug reports?

David