Re: Does \balloonText only work inside chords?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Does \balloonText only work inside chords?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 15:56:31 +0200

Am 18.06.2018 um 14:17 schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

  243: 13  [ly:book-process #<Book> #< Output_def> #< Output_def> "unknown"]
In unknown file:
    ?: 14* [# #]
    ?: 15* [# # #]
    ?: 16* [# # # #]

ERROR: In procedure symbol->string:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting symbol): ()
Exited with return code 1.

Any idea what is wrong here?
The engravers do things differently.  You have to adapt more than just
the Scheme code.

And would it be useful to turn my function in a proposal?
Not independently of the C++ code I should think.

OK, I see. That basically rules out that I'll be looking into it.

It does seem to work like footnotes, and while the chord issue isn't
sorted out I think this is at a completely different location and
independent of such a change.
I have not looked at the details for years but this sounds optimistic.
I think that some more C++ and Scheme work is required, and then loads
of convert-ly and documentation rewrite work.  It does help that the
documentation currently is terrible, so it's comparatively easy to raise
the bar from where it is.

OK. So that means the current state is that \ballonText can only be applied to noteheads within chords. \balloonGrobText can not be made to work as post-event but has to be placed before the to-be-annotated music.

So I think I'll at least know enough to create a workaround ...