Re: Measure numbering: Volta with incomplete alternatives

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Measure numbering: Volta with incomplete alternatives
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:21:05 +0200

On 2018-06-20 22:59, Sam Bivens wrote:
Hi all,

I'm typesetting a Beethoven bagatelle (119/4) where both alternative measures at the end of a volta are incomplete. If you look at the attached PNG, you'll see that the measure immediately following the second alternative is also incomplete (it's the start of the third system). LilyPond gives this half-measure it's own measure number, as shown in my attached MWE.

I have two questions:

 1. Are there any sources in the notation literature that give a
    suggestion on how we should number these measures? Should the
    half-measure at the start of the third system get its own measure
    number, or should it be a continuation of the previous measure (in
    my Lily file, 2b)? My intuition suggests the latter.

Yes, that's most common in printed music, as far as I can recall.

1.

 2. Are there cleaner ways of fixing this than my three commented-out
    lines?

The recent 2.19.x versions of Lilypond can handle these incomplete alternatives correctly, without any additional \set Timing.xxx commands. If you simply remove those commands from your file, the measure numbering will be more standard, i.e. the continued half bar doesn't get any extra bar number.

(And a bonus question if anyone knows: why isn't this bagatelle written starting on beat 1?)

Well, isn't it a kind of Gavotte?

    /Mats

Thanks for any help anyone may offer!

Sam

        Mats Bengtsson, Prof.
        Information Science and Engineering
        School of Electrical Engin. and Comp. Science
        Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
        SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
        Sweden
        Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463