Re: edition-engraver: multiple editions

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: edition-engraver: multiple editions
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 10:45:20 +0200

Hi Mason,

thank you for the hint what has to be explained more concisely in the
docs that are still waiting for there incarnation.

In you examples activation of the editions is done with
`\addEdition first`. To only apply edition `second` you can omit
`\addEdition first` or comment that out.
The command `\editionMod first ...` does not need `\addEdition first` to
compile.
Now the idea of the edition-engraver is to separate layout-mods and
editorial stuff from the content. So in a real project one or more files
containing the bare music definitions, e.g. `wind.fluteI = \relative {
c''8 b a ... }`, are included in a file starting the typesetting for a
specific edition.
All editionMods (for all editions) may be placed in another
include-file. Now in the file to typeset the specific edition either
`\addEdition first` for each needed collection of mods is added or in
one command `\setEditions first.second`.
So any edition receives is typeset from its own source file. Those files
are quite short containing the paper, layout and edition settings and
the actual score-creating command.

IIRC I once created one file to create multiple PDFs with different
editions activated and different paper sizes, but that is really tricky.
And in production I always use different files for separate editions.

HTH
Jan-Peter