Re: edition-engraver: multiple editions

From: Mason Hock
Subject: Re: edition-engraver: multiple editions
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 08:51:58 -0700

On 07/01, Jan-Peter Voigt wrote:
> Hi Mason,
>
> thank you for the hint what has to be explained more concisely in the
> docs that are still waiting for there incarnation.
>
> In you examples activation of the editions is done with
> `\addEdition first`. To only apply edition `second` you can omit
> `\addEdition first` or comment that out.
> The command `\editionMod first ...` does not need `\addEdition first` to
> compile.

I see. I incorrectly assumed that \addEdition declares a set of edition-mods,
but it makes much more sense that it applies them. Thanks for clarifying.

> Now the idea of the edition-engraver is to separate layout-mods and
> editorial stuff from the content. So in a real project one or more files
> containing the bare music definitions, e.g. `wind.fluteI = \relative {
> c''8 b a ... }`, are included in a file starting the typesetting for a
> specific edition.
> All editionMods (for all editions) may be placed in another
> include-file. Now in the file to typeset the specific edition either
> `\addEdition first` for each needed collection of mods is added or in
> one command `\setEditions first.second`.
> So any edition receives is typeset from its own source file. Those files
> are quite short containing the paper, layout and edition settings and
> the actual score-creating command.
>
> IIRC I once created one file to create multiple PDFs with different
> editions activated and different paper sizes, but that is really tricky.

With the piece I'm currently working, on I'm attempting something similar using
a bash script that iterates through every paper/tablet size, constructs \paper,
prepends \version, appends \score, and tells lilypond to compile. Now I can
also have it include a file containing the appropriate \addEdition statements.

Thanks for creating this very valuable tool. Lilypond is already far more
powerful than any other scorewriter, but edition-engraver takes it to a whole
other level.

Mason