Re: Boxed Markup as a Whole?

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Boxed Markup as a Whole?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 05:59:55 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ben,

Just one general thing regarding markup commands (not only boxes):

I think many people are not aware of the fact that a command like
  \markup \bold { A bold text }
will apply \bold to every single element in { … } individually, i.e. it will
expand to
  \markup { \bold A \bold bold \bold text }

In the case of \bold, you won't see much of a difference, but a \box command
will make a huge difference, because each element in { … } will get its own
box.

Another quite obvious example is changing the \fontsize:
  \markup \fontsize #12 { This is rather big }
The \fontsize #12 (four times the size of \fontsize #0) will scale up the
individual words, but the spaces between these words will remain at
\fontsize #0, i.e. will be much too small.

  \markup \fontsize #12 "This is rather big"
will change the \fontsize of the string as a whole, including the word
spaces.

In the case of simple text, we can use double quotes "...", but as soon as
markup commands (like \note or \italic or \raise) come into play, we need
the \line { … } or \concat { … } statement to pack the distinct elements
into one.

All the best,
Torsten