Re: How do I use \tag? (lyuser: message 5 of 20)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How do I use \tag? (lyuser: message 5 of 20)
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 17:47:02 +0200

On 15.07.2018 16:38, Trevor wrote:
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden
Sent: 15/07/2018 15:19:54

Hello Trevor

bla = -\markup { Bla }

melody = \relative c'' {
  c4 d e f ^\bla
  c4 d e f ^\tag #'a \bla % (1)
}

\keepWithTag #'a \melody

\removeWithTag #'a \melody

Hopefully this works in 2.18 too.

Yes, it works :) Thank you! Could you please point me to the
documentation of the '-' that you used instead of my '^'? (Or explain it
to me)?

I would like to understand the difference, not just copy/paste it...

The three direction indicators, ^, - and _ , are explained here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/direction-and-placement

The main problem with your original post was not using a "^" instead of a "-", but not
having a direction indicator of any sort before the \markup command.

Markus, I was going to direct you to the learning manual in order to get a systematic grasp of the fundamental concepts, and indeed that is the best you can do to avoid problems like this: read it carefully, and probably more than once. <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/index>

However, it seems that this is a rare blind spot in the LM: the function of the - is explained for fingering and articulations, briefly mentioned for tweaks on articulations, but not mentioned for text scripts. That should probably get a tracker issue, shouldn’t it?

Best, Simon