Re: How to set up polymetric situations

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How to set up polymetric situations
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 00:33:51 +0200

On 21.07.2018 12:47, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:
On 21.07.2018 09:08, David Kastrup wrote:
It’s also sensible as well as intuitive and mnemonic to address the
Timing alias here:

\set Timing.tempoHideNote = ##t
Only if you move the Metronome_mark_engraver in polyrhythmic situations.
If you don't and Timing is at Staff level...  The Midi is also affected
at Score level.
This got me thinking – the only reason not to move
Metronome_mark_engraver is laziness or forgetting to do so.
I don't think so.  Polyrhythm does not mean the loss of a common timing,
and LilyPond does not implement it in that manner.  It means that the
metric division of the passing time is different in different instrument
groups.

Which may still entail different metronome markings for different groups or performers simultaneously, as in the example I gave, or for example in Britten’s War Requiem. True, it would require the user to really specify the metronome markings only in the top staff of the respective group (or remove the engraver from the other staves) – that’s a drawback, if not a huge one IMO. Now if we created a new TimingGroup context which contains StaffGroup and Staff level contexts, doesn’t alter barlines &c. and \consists only of Metronome_mark_engraver – but I shouldn’t snowball on with major new inventions like that, I guess? It _would_ suit the semantics very well and be satisfyingly clear to document.

Best, Simon