Re: New snippet: remove staff if another is alive (for wind divisi)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New snippet: remove staff if another is alive (for wind divisi)
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 19:48:32 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Inspired by your work I come up with the attached.
>>
>> Attached an improved and simplified version.
>> It's tested with 2/3/4-voices divisi, all in one score.
>> Although not tested, I see no reason why it shouldn't work with even
>> more voices.
>

> Further improvements.
>
> It's now possible to omit 'catch-me, _iff_ single instrument-staves
> and divisi-staves belong exculsively to the same container-context
> like StaffGroup, GrandStaff, ChoirStaff or PianoStaff with removed
> "Keep_alive_together_engraver", which is most likely always the case.
> For ungrouped single/divisi 'catch-me is still neccesary.

Ok, let me chime in: I've basically developed some of the low-level
mechanisms for divisi staves.  There are no user-level commands or music
functions or Scheme abstractions making use of them.  There is no parser
support (like for << \\ >>) but it's likely that isn't really required.

But there certainly is a need for a user level interface, and from the
description this sounds like you are off to a good start.

Think you can turn this (assuming it isn't already) into something
obvious and general enough that it would be satisfying to document and
use it without having to meddle with the low-level mechanisms at least,
say, 85% of the time?

--
David Kastrup