Re: Cover page

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Cover page
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:44:56 -0700 (MST)

Aaron Hill wrote
> In fact, that is
> probably a good strategy for any application you are using that is not
> currently cross-platform.  Seek out an alternative and start getting
> used to it now while you can still use your current setup.
>
> (Side note: Bear in mind you can start playing around with Linux in a
> VM, such as VirtualBox, which gives you the chance to experience the
> "other side of life" while still having access to Windows at the same
> time.)

That's definitely what I was planning to do. I still have some softwares to
learn before taking the leap. For instance the audio player, as a big user
of Foobar2000 (I even wrote a skin back in my young days!), I'm so surprised
to see it isn't compatible with linux...

Aaron Hill wrote
> Another option to consider is one of the many extensible text editors
> out there, such as Atom and Sublime Text.  My personal favorite is
> Visual Studio Code.  All have extensions that support TeX, ranging from
> basic syntax coloring to interactive previewing.  For Code, there is
> LaTeX Workshop, which seems to have earned a pretty decent user rating.
> I cannot, unfortunately, give any personal recommendation here, as I do
> not currently use TeX in my day-to-day workflow.  But should you find
> yourself needing to work with other text-based file formats, it could be
> beneficial to look for a more general-purpose editor.

Good idea too. Is it the same than VIM? I discovered this some time back
thanks to Luke Smith YouTube channel. I have to confess I was impressed by
it. If I understand correctly, with some training, I could even write
everything in there, LP, LateX, etc...?

David Kastrup wrote
> Perhaps Denemo?  Gets you hooked on the results.

I also tried it at the beginning. But I wasn't conviced at all. I found it a
lot more unstable than Frescobaldi, and frankly, I don't think the Windows
95 look would help to convice my colleagues (typically user of Finale on a
Mac). But that's another debate :)