Latest lilypond stable release?

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Latest lilypond stable release?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 16:46:17 -0700

According to the website (lilypond.org), the latest stable release is
2.18.2, and the unstable release is 2.19.82.

However, I've been using the latest version from git, and it claims to
be version 2.21.0.  So, what happened to 2.20.*?  Why does the git
version claim to be 2.21.0?

More pertinently, what version should I be using on the \version line?

Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop them from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn