Re: Suppressing TextSpanner right boundary text at a system break

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Suppressing TextSpanner right boundary text at a system break
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:39:56 -0700 (MST)

James Harkins-4 wrote
> Apologies if this is a basic question. I've searched but I didn't find the
> answer.
>
> I have many text spanners with text for both the left and right bounds.
>
> If a spanner crosses a system break, I would like the right-hand text to
> be hidden at the end of the first system.
>
> The spanner represents an instruction for computer ensemble performance:
> at the left bound, begin transitioning to the next state; at the right
> bound, you should have arrived but not before.
>
> Currently I'm getting "arrive" printed to the right of the last bar line
> of the system break. The performers should not arrive at this point! The
> score is misleading if it suggests that performers should have arrived at
> the end of the system.
>
> I searched the manual and didn't find it. An LSR search for "spanner"
> finds a technique that is supposed to hide the spanner /line/ after a
> break (not what I want). I haven't found anything about controlling
> boundary text visibility.
>
> Thanks,
> hjh

Hi,

I think you'll have to play with "right-broken" and "left-broken".

Maybe this would help:

\version "2.19.81"

\new Staff \relative c'' {

  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text =
    \markup { \small \bold Start }

  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text =
    \markup { \small \bold STOP! }
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = ##f
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text = ##f

  c\startTextSpan d e f
  \break
  g a b c
  d1\stopTextSpan