Re: Sample document to show music fonts

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Sample document to show music fonts
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:31:08 +0200

Am 21.09.2018 um 17:28 schrieb Br. Samuel Springuel:
As my general use case is hymns for congregational singing, if I were to find the time to create a sample, it would probably have the following characteristics:

Notes of all durations from 1/16 to whole.
Some of the 1/8 and 1/16 notes would be beamed while others unbeamed.
Some slurs and ties.

There's a caveat here: Slurs and ties are not part of the music font and therefore look the same, regardless of the font. I made the experience that in stylesheets it's important to tweak the appearance of slurs pretty much, at least the 'thickness, but maybe also other aspects of the shape. So in the context of this preview they won't add too much value - and they might even be misleading with "thicker" fonts, like this:

Rests of the same range of durations.
Flats, Sharps, and Natural signs.
Both a treble and a bass clef.
Both a common time signature and a numerical one.
Lyrics with all three text families (preferably with normal, italics, and bold represented for all three).
A normal, repeat, and final barline.

In order to keep the sample short, I would not necessarily use real music for this (also because my real music samples would normally only include a subset of these features).  However, I think such a sample would cover most of what I need to see in picking a music font for my typical use case.

Would such a sample be sufficiently different from what's been submitted so far to be useful?  If so, I can try to make some time to throw something together (maybe this weekend?).

I think the fact that it'd be vocal music would be different enough. Especially the lyrics idea would be good.
I have also thought about the issue that the examples added so far (Scriabine and Berg) look impressive and give an impression of the overall appearance, but they actually fail to show many characteristics.

So I'm looking forward to your contribution.

Best
Urs