Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?

From: Maarten Deen
Subject: Re: Why no numbers allowed in variables?
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 08:10:26 +0200

On 2018-10-02 22:56, David Kastrup wrote:

Hi Harm,

val = "foo"
<<
 \new Staff \repeat unfold 4 c'4
 \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val2 \val4 }
 \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \val4 \val4 \val2 }

Your proposal would make it impossible.

Thanks for the examples. Obviously I'm not such a hard core user to see all the problems that are associated with my lament.

It's not like we don't have this discussion pretty much every year.

But the solution offered by Kieren did not work in 2.16.2 (didn't test other versions). No idea if the possibility to use quoted variables was added consciously but I also can't find a reference to this in the documentation (while instrumentOne and instrumentTwo are used as examples). Maybe this needs to be documented. And if it is a happy side effect of some other change, it might be good to realise it's there and users probably like it (hate to see this disappear in a next version).

Regards,
Maarten