Re: How to parenthesise bass note in chord symbol?

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: How to parenthesise bass note in chord symbol?
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 23:09:20 +0200

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 21:12, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
Am So., 7. Okt. 2018 um 19:53 Uhr schrieb Peter Crighton
<address@hidden>:

> How would I go about either shifting the parentheses vertically or making them smaller? They probably make sense how they are now with regard to sharps/flats and possible lowercase letters, but they still look off, especially with the C(/G) example. Although I’m just realising – looking at the characters I just typed in – that such alignment of parentheses is probably typographically common. I would have expected them to be exactly as tall as all other characters in the example.

A ChordName is not a simple line of characters, but a tailored markup,
containing strings and musicglyphs, additional they are used with
different fontsize and probably raised etc.
Look at the far simpler
\markup { "(/" \sharp ")" }
to get an impression ...

Nevertheless, you can adjust fontsize and apply \raise (and what ever you like).
To make it more easy I switched (partly) to ly-syntax for the chordNoteNamer:

\new ChordNames
  \chordmode {
    \set slashChordSeparator = ""
    \set chordNoteNamer =
      #(lambda (pitch lowercase?)
        #{
          \markup {
            \fontsize #-1.5 \raise #0.21 "("
            "/"
            #(note-name->markup pitch lowercase?)
            \fontsize #-1.5 \raise #0.21 ")"
          }
        #})

    cis:5.9.13/fis
    c/g

  Harm

Thanks a lot! Scheme still always throws me off …

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de