Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Defining 4 \breve time in Carmina Burana
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 23:52:10 +0200

Am Mo., 8. Okt. 2018 um 12:28 Uhr schrieb Jogchum Reitsma <address@hidden>:

> Op 06-09-18 om 09:43 schreef Thomas Morley:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The first bar of part 5: Ecce gratum, from Orff's Camina Burana states a
> >> time of 4 \breve notes. In the Schott-edition I have, that is noted not on
> >> the staff, but above it.
> >>
> >> Is there a possiblility in Lilypond to define that time? Simpy issuing
> >> "time
> >> 4/\breve" gives an error message in version 2.19.65
> >>

> >> regards, Jogchum Reitsma

> > This was discussed in the german forum a while back.
> > My own coding here:
> > https://archiv.lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,2127.msg11763.html#msg11763
> >
> > HTH,
> >    Harm
> >
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I downloaded the code you referred to in your answer above, and it works
> like a charm, thanks!
> But there are still a few changes that would be nice to have in it. Or,
> also quite possible, they are already there, but I don't know how to use it.
>
> If I want for example a 3/4 bar, I write
>
>    \time ##f 3/4
>
> and the result is fine. But when issuing this in a 4-part vocal piece, I
> have to repeat that for every voice, and the 3/4 symbol is printed above
> each staff. Repeating the entry is of course no problem, but the fact
> that the result is printed above each staff gives a somewhat messy output.
>
> I'm for now not able to alter the code myself, but is it possible to
> avoid this effect?
>
> regards, Jogchum

Well, if you change 'Staff' to 'Score' in the line
    \temporary \override Staff.TimeSignature.stencil =
then the new stencil is always printed without the need to repeat it
in every Staff.

Though, I have my doubts that's really what you want.
I would recommend not to change the code but to \omit the
TimeSignature in every Staff, where you don't want it:
<<
  \new Staff
    {
      r2 r
      \time ##f 3/4
      r4 r r
    }
  \new Staff \with { \omit TimeSignature }
    {
      r2 r
      r4 r r
    }

If you omit the Y-offset-override from the original example the
TimeSignature is printed in Staff as usual.
Though, Orff prints it above, afaik.
With my original coding there is a lot of space below the TimeSignature.
It could be removed or at least reduced if the dimensions of the
TimeSignature-stencil would be adjusted.
But I simply don't know how changes of TimeSignatures are dealed with
in this edition of the Carmina Burana.
Can you link to some online-images of line-breaking TimeSignatures?

Cheers,
  Harm