Re: Automatically identify beats

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Automatically identify beats
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 00:24:23 +0200

Am Mo., 8. Okt. 2018 um 23:50 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> ly:get-all-translators gets the _globally_ registered translators, those
> you can access with a _string_ as reference (should be a symbol,
> really).
>
> > So _registering_ them makes testI/II translators,
>
> No, translator creators (which are functions called with a "context"
> argument).  Some years ago, those were actual translators without a
> working context and LilyPond created a copy when instantiating a context
> and then and changed the context in the copy.  That scheme was not
> suitable for registering Scheme-defined translators/engravers so it had
> to be changed.

Well, I'm a little confused about translators and translator-creators
(I use the hyphen to make the wording more obvious).
Not the least reason is:
#(pretty-print (filter-map ly:translator? (ly:get-all-translators)))
returns '()

Could it be the changed implementation details were not really
reflected in the naming and description of those scheme-function
related to translators, i.e.: ly:translator-whatever
?

> Since the implementation details changed under the hood in that time and
> basically nobody was actually affected, most of those details are pretty
> academical and are of interest basically to answer questions of the "but
> how could this possibly work with user-defined engravers" kind.  That no
> longer has the simple answer "badly".  Scheme_engraver is no longer
> listed as an engraver (which it was in 2.16 or possibly even 2.18 or
> so), and several individual Scheme-defined engravers _are_ listed (and
> previously weren't).  Which is a consequence of changing "badly" into
> "it's involved".

Yeah...

> --
> David Kastrup

I'll (re)think/experiment more another day ...

Thanks,
  Harm