Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 15:22:51 -0400

Hi Urs,

> Is there a way to force text elements to a common *baseline* (as long as
> collision avoidance doesn't force them farther away from the staff?

This is a long-standing irritation of mine, with respect to Lily’s text/markup
handling…

The only hack I’ve found so far is to force a common height, either with a
strut or a transparent combination which has both [maximum] ascenders and
[maximum] descenders:

{
 \override TextScript.outside-staff-padding = 2
 g' _\markup \combine \transparent "Tj" "g" ^\markup \combine \transparent "Tj"
"q"
 g' _\markup \combine \transparent "Tj" "b" ^\markup \combine \transparent "Tj"
"b"
}

Hope that helps!
Kieren.