Complex --evaluate command line option

From: Peter Anglea
Subject: Complex --evaluate command line option
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 10:12:17 -0400

I’m trying to use the -e (--evaluate) option to define a hash, not just a
single variable. For instance

        lilypond -e ‘((define myhash (make-hash-table))(hashq-set! myhash ‘foo
“bar”))’ file.ly

The above doesn’t work. I think, obviously, it’s breaking at the single quote –
‘foo.

I’ve tried escaping it with a backslash (\’foo) and a couple other things, but
nothing seems to work.

Is it possible to run complex Scheme code in the command line option, and/or am
I just not escaping special characters the right way?