Alegreya [was: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]]

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Alegreya [was: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 11:31:30 +0100

On 30/10/2018 07.55, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Conclusion: Not all "Alegreya" fonts are the same!

Oh yes.  Comparing `Alegreya-Medium.ttf': The font available from
Google Fonts is version 2.003 (from October 2017, according to the
`modified' field in the font's `head' table, even if the file stamp
says December 2011) and contains 1344 glyphs.  The new font from the
above link is version 2.007 (generated March 2018) and has 2130
glyphs, coming with a much extended set of OpenType tables.  I also
checked whether the autohinting code (using my ttfautohint program) is
different, but it seems that both fonts were using the same version
since the `fpgm' and `prep' tables are essentially identical.

Well, what a coincidence - just yesterday I independently asked https://github.com/huertatipografica/Alegreya/issues/17 on the Github page for Alegreya, trying to get some information about the most recent and recommended version of the fonts.

Regarding problems on the Mac: Are you using TTFs of Alegreya?  Does
it work if you use OTFs instead (available from the Huerta site)?

While there's not yet an answer: from what I can tell, the OTF in both versions 2.007 (from huertatipografica.com) and 2.008 (the tagged, bot not-"latest" release from Github) works like a charm on Arch Linux, but that hardly comes as a surprise...

Cheers,
Alex