Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Using various weights and widths of fonts
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 12:44:51 -0400

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 22:12:52 -0400
From: Ben <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On 11/2/2018 9:50 PM, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I guess it would be helpful that when I try to call:
>
>     \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display")
>

> I cannot get the override, and thus the font reverts to sans. I have
> the font installed on my system, so I know it's not an issue of the
> font being installed. Perhaps this helps.
>
> --
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Joshua Nichols
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     I am trying to use different variants of Garamond Premier,
>     especially the Display weight and Narrow Widths. at any moment's
>     notice. I seem to be able to do it for some of them, but not
>     others. In particular, I'll use the narrow variant of Minion Pro
>     for lyrics by calling:
>
>         \override LyricFont.font-name = "Minion Pro Cond"
>

>     in \layout{}. But, when I want to change just a single instance of
>     the font in, let's say, a \markup{}, I can't find a way to do it.
>
>     I'm sure I'll eat my shoe, but I'd appreciate the help here. Thank
>     you in advance.
>

>     --
>     Josh

You could use this technique perhaps...

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/change-the-font-for-all-markups-td171730.html

Depends I guess on how you setup your document fonts and how many
markups you are wishing to change (all/one)...

Does this help?

The problem I am still having is getting pango or lilypond to recognize the variant widths and weights of these pro line fonts. as soon as I use \override #'(font-name . "Garamond Premier Pro Display") nothing happens. It reverts to sans.

Does this help clarify? So it's still not working. :(

Make sure you have the font exactly correct, otherwise it defaults back to sans :) Sometimes fonts are installed have names slightly different than you'd expect them to have (as far as what the system 'sees'.)

Also, did you try the markup overrides I put in my later emails? It should work as long as you have the font 100% correct named :)

{
 c1^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Minion Pro") "hello" } c
c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "InformalRoman") "hello" }
c c^\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "Raleway") "hello" } c