Time signature and beat markers

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Time signature and beat markers
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 13:44:47 +1100

My complexity school composer colleague uses what he calls beat markers instead of barlines to assist players locating where they are in the complex mass of notes. So for example, we have a section of 5/4. but there is a barline (actually, we use the old mensural type line system) every beat, so I set the music in 1/4. Previously, we have omitted the actual time signature for various reaons, but now I want it displayed.

So how can I show 5/4 but have the music be in 1/4 for creating the 'beat lines' (just think of them as barlines). And so on for a whole lot of other time signatures.

Attached image may make this clearer.

While we are here, how could I get the time signature between the systems, as in this manuscript copy?

Andrew