Re: Edition Engraver in 2.19

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Edition Engraver in 2.19
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 09:44:22 +0100

Hi Marten,

Am 13.11.18 um 08:30 schrieb address@hidden:
Hi,
I, like the original poster, was also intrigued, by people's enthusiastic comments about the power of OpenLilyLib and the Edition Engraver. And like the O.P. I never really got started.
I guess the question is: How complex a LilyPonds score has to be before EE really starts making things easier instead of just adding more difficulties?

I think for seriously discussing this trade-off one should (maybe grudgingly) ignore the lack of documentation. The actual effort of integrating the edition-engraver in a set-up is pretty low, once you know how it's done.

In my view the separation of content and presentation has two aspects that matter most for the use of the edition-engraver, and if they are of any relevance for one's projects it makes sense to use it, even in smaller projects/scores:

  • Separate sets of tweaks (or "rendering hints", a term that is common in the music encoding community) for separate engraving targets. It's cleaner to control the engraving for, say, score vs. parts or print vs. screen display. One feature I regularly use is providing alternative sets of line/page breaks to have it match the manuscript while copying or proof-reading.
  • Cleanness of the input files. I currently work on a project where the input files will be part of the published edition, and there must not be any custom \override or \tweak in them, only the editorial content.

The general advanatage of using the openLilyLib infrastructure is

  • for the *user*: it provides sets of additional functionality that is neatly packaged and easily available. You can sort-of read through https://github.com/openlilylib/scholarly/blob/master/documentation/scholarly.md to get an example for a package that has already been documented.
  • more for the package developer (but also accessible to end-user documents): oll-core provides a set of basic functionality that can pretty efficiently be used to build more complex functionality in a modular manner.

Best
Urs

MT

Verzonden vanaf mijn Huawei mobiele telefoon