Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: advice on orchestral parts and string Divisi
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:38:30 -0700 (MST)

Reggie wrote
>> For those of you who engrave orchestral music in which the strings often
>> have
>> your typical divisi a2 or a3
>>
>> Suppose a performance is coming up and you need to print parts from the
>> full
>> score.
>>
>> So when you go to engrave the individual parts for any of the strings for
>> example, (say Violin I), would you:
>>
>> a) always leave the Violin I "as is" and just \new Staff the violin
>> variable
>> as it appears in the full score regardless of divisi complexity /
>> independence
>> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part)
>> b) only leave the Violin I as is from the full score if it's a simple
>> score
>> and not that complicated of a separate part
>> --*(Violin I all on one staff for part, but only if it's not too complex
>> of
>> a division rhythm-wise and for not that many measures in the score)
>> c) always input all divisi as separate variables from the beginning and
>> actually partcombine the divisi of the same instrument, so as to have
>> multiple staves if need be on the part version.
>> --*(Violin I from the start of engraving has already been pre-variabled
>> into
>> 2/3 divisi with a ton of spacer rests throughout the whole part until the
>> sections needed, then input the divisi notes, then go back to normal, etc
>> -
>> at the end, use partcombine on the part, etc.)
>>
>> How do you approach printing string parts for a modern orchestral piece,
>> regarding divisi? Does it depend or is your approach constant?
>> Most of the music I am engraving has divisi similar to that of the 19th
>> century, where it's not too separate of a part difference but some
>> upcoming
>> projects I will be working on have rather diverse divisi spreads within
>> the
>> same string part.
>> So I wanted to begin the project 'correctly' before getting too deep in
>> and
>> realizing I couldn't do parts easily. You can't really [easily] do a
>> partcombine with just one variable taht has temporary voices on it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

> Please can someone help me with divisi engraver practices in lilypond
> writing the music?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html

See what I mean here  https://image.ibb.co/bzL5aL/divisiexample.png how can
I create divisi from full score without going crzy?

\version "2.19.80"
\language "english"
#(set-global-staff-size 18)
\header {
  title = "Composition"
  % Remove default LilyPond tagline
  tagline = ##f
}

\paper {
  #(set-paper-size "folio")
}

global = {
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature
  \time 5/4
  \tempo "Slow"
}

violinI = \relative c'' {
  \global
  % Music follows here.
  \repeat unfold 10 { c4 d c d8 ef8 f4 }
  \repeat unfold 4 {
    <<
      { c'16 c c c r4 cs16 cs cs cs r4 c}
      \\ { \tuplet 3/2 { < ef,, a>4 q q } <c' e>8 q q q q4 }

  }

  c1~c4 c1~c4 R1*5/4*4
}

violinII = \relative c'' {