Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible bug?]

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible bug?]
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 08:35:02 +0100

Sorry for chiming in:

I can't see that it this can really be regarded as a bug. Ending one
slur and beginning another on the same note is not normal usage - in
fact, I don't really know what it is supposed to mean. How does this
meaning differ from having a single slur over all 5 notes? Will the
meaning be clear to whoever has to play the music?
Well, in this case, I’m engraving a Schenker graph… so I doubt anyone
will be playing it.  ;)
[...]
LilyPond tends to focus on situations that are considered to be part of
"valid" musical scores.  When working outside of that scope, it's not
all that unusual for stuff to be different from expectations.

I don't think it is safe to assume that a construction like c)( is not to be expected in valid musical scores. Schenker graphs aside, at least for phrasing slurs (which show the same behaviour that Kieren described) it's quite common e.g. in Wagner scores to have them end and start again on the same note.

Best
Lukas