Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Not Nice Review of the LilyPond
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 16:53:58 +0100

Am So., 2. Dez. 2018 um 16:34 Uhr schrieb Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2018 at 03:26:44PM +0100, Thomas Morley wrote:
> > Am So., 2. Dez. 2018 um 14:01 Uhr schrieb Sandro Santilli <address@hidden>:
> > >
> > > Very obscure way to put chords
> > > in parenthesis (I asked yesterday).
> >
> > I beg to differ.
>
> Really ? And right after this statement you post a 36 lines
> snippet of code full of parens ? :P
>
> I know Lilypond is powerful, that's why I still use it, but
> it's hard not to notice how obscure its code is (what is it,
> scheme?)
>
> --strk;

The proposed _ly-syntax_ is
\parenthesize <whatever>
\parenthesize #'left <whatever>
\parenthesize #'right <whatever>
No parens.

Obviously this is not default LilyPond, thus I proposed a _function_
which offers it.
This function is written in guile, the scheme-dialect used by LilyPond
as it's extension-language. Btw, it's the official GNU extension
language.
For _usage_ such snippets are usually stored away somewhere and
included in you actual file.

Ofcourse noone will hinder you to dive into the code of the function
or the source-code in general, but you don't need to if you simply
want to use it.

Cheers,
  Harm