Re: Multiple tempos at the same time and midi playback?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Multiple tempos at the same time and midi playback?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 03:26:57 +0000

On 12/13/18, 5:33 AM, "Yakir Arbib" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Hi All,

    My name is Yakir and I'm a pianist / composer based in Paris.

    I am very new to LilyPond, so please pardon me if my question is
    annoying or redundant.

    I write modern classical music in which each instrument has its' own
    separate tempo.  My question is, do you think it's possible to write
    something like that in LilyPond using separate tempo commands for each
    staff?

I'm pretty sure you will not be able to accomplish this easily in LilyPond.  It
is probably possible by using scaled durations.

Lilypond's basic timing is done in beats.  Beats are grouped into measures.
The timing is not done in seconds, or minutes.

So if you want to have one staff at 4/4 and a tempo of 60, with another staff
at 4/4 and a tempo of 120, you'll probably need to scale the durations of all
the notes in the 120 staff by two, and probably fake the time signature (that
is, set the time signature to say, 4/2 but display it as 4/4).  And when you do
that, you'll need to reset the beaming rules.

So I think it's doable, but not easily.

HTH,

Carl