Re: Handbell mallets

From: Rick Kimpel
Subject: Re: Handbell mallets
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:06:28 +0000

On 2018-12-14 9:58 pm, Rick Kimpel wrote:
>> All,
>> In handbell music, there is an articulation for playing the bell with
>> a mallet while it is on the table. It looks like a "stopped" symbol
>> near the note head, with a "staccato" articulation just beyond that. I
>> can get reasonable results for notes near the top and bottom of the
>> staff, but when I have something like
>>
>> {f8'-+-.[ f''-+-.]}
>>
>> one of the two will always look bad. Ideally, the + will be in the
>> staff near the note head. Any ideas on how to achieve this without
>> tweaking each articulation? I have half a mind to just use staccato
>> and a note in the score.
>>
>> >https://www.handbellworld.com/images/HandbellNotation/MalletWithHandbellOnTable>.jpg
>
>Creating a custom articulations is probably the best option, however you
>can also easily redefine the stencil for an existing one:
>
>%%%%
>\version "2.19.82"
>
>% handbell mallet
>hbm = \tweak stencil #(lambda (grob)
>   (grob-interpret-markup grob #{ \markup \combine
>       \raise #1 \musicglyph #"scripts.stopped"
>       \musicglyph #"scripts.staccato"
>     #})) \stopped

Thanks, Aaron.
You made me take a closer look at my scores. Other publishers put
the + over the . no matter the orientation. Something I had never
noticed before. So your first solution was close (although I find the
directional one more interesting). All I did was change the final
\stopped to \staccato. I will have to look up this custom articulation
thing one of these days, though.

Great work!!
Rick